Location: Hamilton, ON
Client: City of Hamilton
Year of Completion: 2018
Construction Budget: $28,000,000
Architect of Record: Invizij Architects
Associate Architect:: +VG
This project involved renovating and repurposing of 50 Main Street East to house the Ontario Provincial Administration and Courtrooms, the Ontario Municipal Board Court Room, and offices for City Staff. Originally constructed as a courthouse in 1958 to the design of Hamilton architect Alvin Prack, the building was later occupied by McMaster University, before being renovated back to a courthouse. It is now slated for heritage designation in 2021.
The building has undergone extensive interior and exterior renovations to provide a functional layout and an elegant design developed to serve the complex operations of Hamilton’s Provincial Offences Administration. Renovations include energy upgrades, asbestos remediation, Mechanical and Electrical upgrades, elevator upgrades, upgraded finishes, site restoration, and installation of a Barrier-Free Ramp for accessibility. Construction also included a separate $6.04M Hamilton Community Energy project within the same building which required extensive design coordination to ensure successful delivery of both projects in a harmonious solution.
The project also included renovation of the 3rd, 4th and 5th Floors for various other related municipal departments. Modernization goals of the building included compliance with current Province of Ontario Architectural Design Standards for Court Houses, up-to-date security provisions, improved barrier-free accessibility, enhanced acoustic performance along with complete new audio-visual systems, and upgraded energy conservation.